Our Corporate Mission
As a highly competent technology partner, we provide complete solutions for technically demanding tooling applications.
Our Corporate Values
Honesty & Respect in everything we do and toward all of our stakeholders.
Accountability for our actions and their impact on our community and environment.
Innovation that challenges the status quo and brings better solutions to our customers.
Be Part of the Little Lakes Team
Little Lakes Machine & Tool Co. is a local company with a difference. We are on a mission to deliver precision craftsmanship to our customers. Our team of highly skilled professionals are called on to design production processes, program equipment, and produce quality parts to precise specifications.
Our growing business is always looking for the next person with the right attitude and skills to help us succeed. If you believe you’re that person, we’d like to hear from you.
CNC Programmer and Machinist/Tool Maker
Little Lakes Machine & Tool Co. Ltd. (LLMT) specializes in the development, machining, and manufacture of specialty tooling and parts for the Automotive, Nuclear, Defense, and Energy sectors.
The CNC Programmer and Machinist will be responsible to work independently to write highly detailed programs for various precision machining operations as well as set up, operate, and maintain various machines. Individuals could be asked to perform turning, 3 and 4 axis vertical milling, micro-machining, 3 and 4 axis high speed hard milling, all facets of precision grinding, and RAM & WIRE EDM operations. Typical jobs are one-offs or small quantities with multiple assignments being worked on simultaneously. This is not a production shop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties performed by employees in this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Working with a 3D Model uses CAM software to select the proper tool and toolpath to ensure the most efficient cycle times and optimal precision machining to meet design requirements.
- Turns the planned machining operation into a computer program containing a set of commands for the machine to follow.
- Testing as necessary to ensure the final product meets all specifications.
- Create general-purpose programs for the assigned machines using the machine control and/or CAM software.
- Load programs to the machine control and test to prove suitability for the assigned job.
- Knowledge of ESPRIT and Camtool is considered an asset.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings, blueprints, charts and tables or study sample parts to determine machining operations to be undertaken.
- Appropriately load/position material onto CNC machine to ensure successful operation.
- Ensure the machine is set up and production is running according to specification. Verify products are accurate and in conformance to all specifications.
- Operate CNC machines to achieve optimal levels of productivity considering quality, waste, efficiency, and utilization.
- Adhere to all quality procedures as required. Conduct and record all quality checks at regular intervals. Must be capable of identifying equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and all quality defects. Take corrective action to adjust machine and fix defects identified.
- Perform preventive maintenance and minor machine repairs as per machine specific instructions.
- Effectively perform all established machine cleaning procedures.
Quality – CMM Experience (Desired)
- Familiar with CMM technology to inspect a product ensuring the measurements meet the design intent.
- Recommend preventive and corrective actions and defect repair.
- Generate CARs; NCRs and conducts follow up testing to validate corrective actions have been successful.
- Record and report the results of the inspection.
- Verify and sign off on quality control documents for final product as required by LLMT Customers.
- Understand the LLMT Quality Program and ISO 9001: 2015 and related objectives.
COMPANY WIDE EXPECTATIONS
- Communicate effectively and inform the Team Lead of information that may affect the quality of our product and/or service.
- Consistently seek or accept fill in work to perform when automated processing permits to maximize productivity.
- Comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee handbook.
- Comply with company quality procedures as required.
- Must be able to apply for and receive a clear police criminal check for purposes of working with Controlled Goods (i.e., Defence, Military, etc).
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area. Contribute to a safe workplace environment by following Health and Safety practices and considering safety in all activities.
- Demonstrate teamwork and perform other related work duties to contribute to the success of LLMT as assigned by the Team Lead or Management.
- Co-operate and collaborate with co-workers and management and work in a professional and respectful manner, resulting in a harmonious and productive workplace.
- Constantly look for opportunities to improve work processes.
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing, 5S, PDAC and Continuous Process Improvement.
- Share knowledge with co-workers to assist with team development.
- Demonstrate willingness to be flexible in respect to work assignments if customer priorities change.
- Work an afternoon or evening shift, as required.
- Willingly accept any duties that are assigned of a lesser scope i.e., sweeping, etc. to support the company as needed.
The requirements listed below are representative of the Knowledge, Skill and Abilities required.
- Experience: Minimum five year’s experience programming and operating CNC machines in a non-production environment. Demonstrated problem solving skills. Knowledge of work holding, tool holders, cutting tools, boring bars, fixtures, inserts, and other accessories used on various CNC machines. CMM experience an asset. Licensed machinist preferred.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required, and a College degree in Engineering/Manufacturing preferred, with Programming and CNC Machining designations.
- Programming and Mathematical Skills: Mathematical skills for the purpose of programming and calculating tool manufacturing processes.
- Communication Skills: Must be able to read and write basic English. Ability to communicate effectively; get along with co-workers and management; and deal effectively and professionally under stress.
- Mechanical Skills: Ability to successfully operate the assigned machinery and apply mechanical principals to meet the desired quality and productivity (i.e., efficiency, utilization, and waste) standards.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Innovative problem-solving skills are required to deal with a variety of production issues and machine malfunctions
- Other Skills: High attention to detail. Effective organization and time management skills. Ability to meet expectation of managing multiple work activities at the same time. Ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively and in harmony with other LLMT employees and management
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to stand and walk.
- Uses hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools and controls.
- Frequently required to talk and hear in order to communicate with other employees.
- Required to climb, stoop, bend and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to push or pull with hands or arms, kneel or crouch.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 40-60 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to distinguish shades, colours, depth perception and peripheral vision
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The noise level varies in the work environment. For some tasks, employees will require hearing protection (over 85 dB).
- Employee constantly works near moving mechanical parts and occasionally near lift trucks.
- Occasionally exposed to fumes or vapours or non-hazardous products.
- Constantly works in a common area shared with others with no division of space.
- Wears all prescribed personal protective equipment (PPE). See Health and Safety document for specifics.